Our government has adopted a zero tolerance policy against corruption and the fight against corruption will continue- Sarbananda Sonowal, Chief Minister, Assam.
Assam Police on Wednesday arrested 14 Govt officers for their alleged involvement in a cash-for-jobs scam. The police conducted a simultaneous searches in different districts to arrest these officials in the wee hours.
The 14 officers included those from Assam Police Service (APS), Assam Civil Service (ACS) and allied services posted in various districts. They were picked up from different locations early on Wednesday, the police said.
Police officials said 10 more officers were likely to be arrested in the next few days.
Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal commended the police for the “achievement against corruption” and said none of the officers who had secured jobs through bribery would be spared.
“Our government has adopted a zero tolerance policy against corruption and the fight against corruption will continue,” he said.
A massive scam in the Assam Public Service Commission (APSC), which began with the arrest of a government engineer in Dibrugarh in October last year while allegedly collecting cash on behalf of APSC chairman Rakesh Kumar Paul (since arrested), has so far led to numerous arrests. The
Rakesh Kumar Paul, a small-time lawyer who later served as a notary, and appointed by the Congress government as APSC member in 2008 and as chairman in 2013, was earlier arrested in November 2016 in connection with the scam.
Name of the arrested officers-
- Pallabi Sarma Choudhury ACS, Circle officer, Darrang
- Dipak Khanikar ACS, Sivsagar
- Debajit Bora ACS, Election officer Hamren.
- Anirudh Roy ACS, Circle officer Lakhimpur
- Himangshu Choudhury ACS, Circle Officer Agomoni
- Sabbira Imran ASP, Ascom, 12th APBn.
- Jayanta Kumar Nath APS, Ascom, 7th APBN
- Harshajyoti Bora APS, DySP Border Ghy
- Hemanta Saikia APS, DySP DSB Jorhat.
- Sudipta Goswami Bhattacharya, Employment officer Karimganj
- Amarjit Das, Employment officer Sonitpur
- Dwithun Borgayari, CO , Dotoma
- Raju Saha, Labour Inspector, Bhabani Pur
- Jatindra Prasad Baruah APS, Assist Comdt, 8th AP Bn