This year’s Railway budget gives major thrust to surveys for new lines for better connectivity in NE Region. Railway Budget has seen a substantial increase in fund allocation for new as well as ongoing surveys. All these new projects are going to change the transportation scenario of the land locked N.E. Region and thereby bringing economic development for people. Budget has proposed Reconnaissance Engineering cum Traffic Survey for a 38-km new broad gauge line from Harmuti to Majuli via Bihpuria at a total cost of Rs. 95 lakhs. Surveys are of various types.
Reconnaissance Survey is rough and rapid investigations of an area with a view to determine the technical feasibility and approximate cost of one or more routes for a projected Railway line from a general examination with the help of contoured Survey of India maps and other available material.
Preliminary Engg cum Traffic survey is a detailed study to make a forecast of the traffic prospects to facilitate the projection of the most promising route and the category of line to be constructed in the case of new lines and to assess the quantum of traffic to determine the traffic facilities to be provided. It also consists of a detailed instrumental examination of the rout / or routes selected as a result of “Reconnaissance” in order to obtain a close estimate of the probable cost of the projected line.
In Final Location survey the centre line of the actual track to be laid is determined. The final route selected is put up on paper and details such as gradient, curves, contours etc are worked out. The long sections and formation levels are sorted out and working drawings are prepared for all small and large structures. As soon as the Final location survey report is completed, the construction work can be started.
There are 42 various types of surveys going on in N. F. Railway for constructions of new lines, bridges, doubling of tracks etc. The total allotment for all the surveys going on in N. F. Railway is Rs. 38.96 crore. The notables among them are: –
- The allotment for Preliminary Engg cum Traffic survey for Lumding – Dibrugarh doubling (343km) has been increased from 18 lakhs to 40 lakhs.
- The allotment for Final Location survey for doubling between Dimapur – Tizit (257km) has been increased from 30 lakhs to 60 lakhs.
- The allotment for Final Location survey for doubling between Bongaigaon – Kamakhya via Rangiya (257km) has been increased from 13 lakhs to 66 lakhs.
- The allotment for Final Location survey for new BG line between Salona – Khumtai (99 km) has been increased from 23 lakhs to 40 lakhs.
- The allotment for Final Location survey for new BG line between Sibsagar-Jorhat (62km) has been increased from 18 lakhs to 39 lakhs.
- Other notable survey works for which the budget has allocated requisite funds are:-
- Rupees 6.8 lakhs for the Preliminary Engg cum Traffic survey for new line between Dhubri – Mendipathar (120km) with double line bridge over Brahmaputra at Dhubri.
- Rupees 5 lakhs for the Reconnaissance Engineering cum Traffic Survey for new line between Rangiya-Dekargaon (140km) via Bezera, Dumnichowki, Sipajhar, Mangaldoi, Kharupetia, Dalgaon, Orang.
- Rupees 4 lakhs for Reconnaissance Engineering cum Traffic Survey for new line between Bongaigaon – Agthori (130km) via Barpeta, Hajo, Sarthebari
- Rupees 7.96 lakhs for Reconnaissance Engineering cum Traffic Survey for new line between Tinsukia – Pasighat (300km) via Deomali, Lekhapani, Jairampur, Kharsang, Tezu, Roing
- Rupees 16.5 lakhs for the Preliminary Engg cum Traffic survey for 3rd line between Barsoi – New Jalpaiguri (145km)
- Rupees 7 lakhs for Reconnaissance Engineering cum Traffic Survey for new line between Gogamukh – Jorhat (100km) via Dhakuakhana, Kamalabari, Garmur.